Thursday, December 18, 2008

Style: Learning to Cut Loose

When I first moved away from Chicago, I was terribly homesick. I missed the over-abundance of unique shopping opportunities, the boutique on every corner, and the independent clothiers, all within walking distance from my home and from each other. After countless hours of researching neighborhoods and local shopping on the web, I would grudgingly get in my car and drive and drive (and drive some more) until I found a place here or there, tucked away in some remote corner of some distant neighborhood.


Now that I'm settled, I realize my initial response was, perhaps, a tad on the dramatic side. Sure, I still need to drive everywhere, but San Diego offers quite a few independently spirited store options. And, once you find one that you like, another isn't far behind.

During one of my little adventures, I discovered the perfect shopping stretch in Solana Beach, located in the heart of North San Diego County. Not only did this quarter of a mile stretch offer store after store of one-of-a-kind shopping opportunities, for the first time in a long time, I was more relaxed and a bit more myself. Here, I found stores where I could buy unique clothes, housewares, and gifts that wouldn't break the bank and I could meander and browse in a way that I hadn't experienced in a long time. Nowhere did I frequent more often than in a little, comfortable find, Cut Loose.

Cut Loose, founded in San Francisco, offers clothes made of natural and garment dyed fibers. As their motto states, clothing for the real world—they're comfortable pieces for real women. It's the type of store that your mom, your daughter, and you could all, collectively, enjoy. Each of you may be drawn to different items, but all would leave with a purchase in hand. Their colors and collections change with each season, but their quality and comfort never alter. And, most importantly, you don't have to live in San Diego or San Francisco to buy a Cut Loose design—their line is sold in boutiques across the country.

It may seem shallow, but, for me to feel at home in California, I needed to discover good neighborhoods, exceptional shopping, and beautifully made clothes. Stumbling on Solana Beach provided me with the first opportunity to unwind, enjoy, and truly cut loose. Details: www.cutloose.com.

Email this article!







0 comments:

Adventure (26) Gastronomy (38) Obsession (39) Style (26)

About Mod City Mom

After becoming mothers, sisters Sarah Romine and Leah Weyandt wanted to marry the activities and interests that they experienced before motherhood with their new found lives with children. This was not always an easy task—traveling to obscure places, shopping at off-beat boutiques, and sipping lazy-afternoon cocktails doesn't always fit neatly with parenthood. Stemming from their frustration, they meticulously searched, and continue to search, for activities, establishments, and entertainment that they take pleasure in and their families benefit from. The result? Mod City Mom.




About Sarah

Sarah is a passionate cook, fashionista, writer, actor, and mother. Like all actors, she ended up working at many-a-restaurant to make ends meet and shopping at countless bargain boutiques to maintain her sense of personal style. Her culinary journey, love affair with fashion, and desire to remain true to herself after becoming a mother are the inspirations for this site. Sarah lives with her husband and two sons in Chicago.

About Leah

A polymath wannabe, Leah loves books, films, music, cooking, and travel. After co-starting a writing and editing shop in 2002, Leah has spent her spare time frequenting her favorite cities, hangouts, and haunts. Her obsession with finding the new, innovative, and quirky is the impetus behind this site. Leah lives with her two sons and husband in North San Diego County.
Questions? Comments? info@modcitymom.com

Is Mod City Mom loading incorrectly? Try upgrading your browser of choice.