Friday, October 24, 2008

Style: Seeing is Believing

I have been wearing glasses since the age of 14. I had no idea that my eyes were even bad, until I was pulled out of class after a routine eye-exam. I already was sporting a mouth-full of braces, so, what the heck—why not draw a little more attention to my already fragile and self-conscious persona? What a blow! When I returned to the class the boys whooped and hooted while the girls all circled around me like I just received the news that my parents had died. Sigh.

My mother, as always, offered a compassionate ear, no doubt followed by some solid advice. But, most importantly, she took action immediately and provided some well-deserved shopping-therapy.

My first pair of glasses were clear pink—big, with arms that dropped a bit. I looked like I just walked off of the set of Golden Girls, but, to me, those frames were hot! Not only could I see the board, I was experiencing a new-found self-esteem. Hiding behind a pair of glasses made me confident bordering on audacious. From the moment I started modeling those Sophia Petrillo’s, the geek sheik from within came out loud and clear and never went away.

I have since tracked down and sported the David Mamet’s, the John Lennon’s, and the Sigmund Freud’s (yes, apparently I have a “thing” for men’s glasses). But nowhere is hunting for the next-great pair of frames more fun than at Fabulous Fanny’s, located in New York, New York.

Fanny’s offers vintage eyeglasses from the 1800s through the 1990s. Visiting the store is like visiting a mini-museum. Alongside racks of vintage clothing and accessories, are drawer after drawer of antique specs. The first time I found Fanny’s, I whittled away an entire afternoon followed by a trip to Chinatown to purchase a cheap pair of lenses for my already-reasonably-priced Woody Allen’s.

Even if you don’t wear glasses (or like wearing glasses, like me), Fabulous Fanny’s offers a wide-variety of sunglasses, too. And, although browsing at Fanny’s is an irreplaceable experience, you don’t have to travel to New York to have fun—you can now buy them all online. So, if you’re interested in bringing out the Elton John, the Buddy Holly, or the Tina Fey in you, go to Fabulous Fanny’s stat. As their motto states, “if you have to wear them, make it fun!” Details: 335 E 9th Street, between 1st and 2nd Avenues, New York, www.fabulousfannys.com.


Email this article!



4 comments:

Anonymous October 24, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

This article is SO funny! Your experience mirrors mine exactly! Thanks for the post.

Anonymous October 24, 2008 at 11:48 AM  

Do you have the name of the Chinatown spot?

Anonymous October 24, 2008 at 11:50 AM  

I can't remember the name, but Fabulous Fanny will point you in the right direction. They provided me with the recommendation. Enjoy!

Anonymous November 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

I believe my brother was wearing a "Fanny" shirt on Thanksgiving! I loved it--super cool, hip and retro!

Adventure (26) Gastronomy (38) Obsession (39) Style (26)

About Mod City Mom

After becoming mothers, sisters Sarah Romine and Leah Weyandt wanted to marry the activities and interests that they experienced before motherhood with their new found lives with children. This was not always an easy task—traveling to obscure places, shopping at off-beat boutiques, and sipping lazy-afternoon cocktails doesn't always fit neatly with parenthood. Stemming from their frustration, they meticulously searched, and continue to search, for activities, establishments, and entertainment that they take pleasure in and their families benefit from. The result? Mod City Mom.




About Sarah

Sarah is a passionate cook, fashionista, writer, actor, and mother. Like all actors, she ended up working at many-a-restaurant to make ends meet and shopping at countless bargain boutiques to maintain her sense of personal style. Her culinary journey, love affair with fashion, and desire to remain true to herself after becoming a mother are the inspirations for this site. Sarah lives with her husband and two sons in Chicago.

About Leah

A polymath wannabe, Leah loves books, films, music, cooking, and travel. After co-starting a writing and editing shop in 2002, Leah has spent her spare time frequenting her favorite cities, hangouts, and haunts. Her obsession with finding the new, innovative, and quirky is the impetus behind this site. Leah lives with her two sons and husband in North San Diego County.
Questions? Comments? info@modcitymom.com

Is Mod City Mom loading incorrectly? Try upgrading your browser of choice.